Occupational hygiene is concerned with the recognition, evaluation and control of environmental factors that may affect the health and well-being of people at work. Such factors may include hazardous substances in their many forms, noise, vibration, microbiological agents, lighting, radiation and the thermal environment. The field of Occupational Hygiene is therefore complementary to other health and safety related professions such as Occupational Health, Acoustics, Ergonomics and Health Physics.
APEC's experienced hygienists can undertake a full range of occupational and workplace assessments, including:
- Exposure monitoring for hazardous dusts, fumes, gases, mists and vapours, to assess compliance with requirements of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations
- Assessment of workplace exposure to noise, including the provision of recommendations to control exposures, in compliance with the Control of Noise at Work Regulations
- Assessment of exposure to hand-arm or whole body vibration, including the provision of recommendations to control exposures, in compliance with the Control of Vibration at Work Regulations
- Evaluation of workplace thermal environments, to assess the potential for heat stress or thermal comfort and/or sick building syndrome issues
- Specification, examination and testing of workplace control measures such as local exhaust ventilation systems and personal protective equipment
- Compilation, completion and review of COSHH assessments, either onto a client's own format or our own record-keeping system
- Bacteriological risk assessments and sampling, such as for legionella in water systems
If you are interested in any of the above services please 'Contact Us' for further details.